Payment & Shipping Terms:
granite inspection plate,
granite flat plate
Granite is a type of igneous rock formed in the Earth millions of years ago. The composition of igneous rock contained many minerals such as quartz that is extremely hard and wear-resistant. In addition to hardness and wear resistance granite has approximately half the coefficient of expansion as iron. As its volumetric weight is approximately one third that of iron, granite is easier to manoeuvre.
For machine bases and metrology components, black granite is the colour most used. Black granite has a higher percentage of quartz than other colours and is, therefore, the hardest wearing.
Granite is cost-effective, and cut surfaces can be exceptionally flat. Not only can it be hand lapped to achieve extremes of accuracy, but re-conditioning can be performed without moving the plate or table off-site. It is entirely a hand lapping operation and generally costs much less than re-conditioning a cast iron alternative.
These qualities make granite the ideal material to create custom-size and custom-design machine bases and metrology components.
The main advantages of granite surface plates are:
• Resistant to chemicals and corrosion
• Low coefficient of expansion so less affected by temperature change
• Naturally rigid and hard-wearing
• The plane of the surface is unaffected if scratched
• Will not rust
• Easy to clean and maintain
• Calibration and resurfacing can be done onsite
• Suitable for drilling for threaded support inserts
• High vibration damping
Contact Person: admin